¡Bienvenidos a Clase!

Mis queridos estudiantes y padres,

¡Bienvenidos a clase!

I look forward to teaching Spanish again this semester at Lee Christian School. In case you have forgotten, or are new to the school, let me tell you a bit about myself. 

I’m a native of Sanford. I committed my life to Christ at the age of 14. My love for God and His Word grew into a desire to serve the Lord in some full-time capacity. While at college at UNCG God led me to work with Wycliffe Bible Translators. I was a missionary with them 19 years, serving as a Bible translator in Mexico. When I  returned to Sanford in 2001, I taught fifth grade at Lee Christian School for two years. I am currently the pastor of two small traditional Presbyterian churches—one in Moore County and one in Sanford. My chief desire is to honor God in everything I say and do. I hope to be used by God in each student’s life toward that end.

My experience as a translator/linguist has taught me that the best tools for learning a foreign language are memorization, exposure, memorization, usage and, of course, memorization! Altogether, that is going to mean a lot of effort on the part of each student. There is no way to “cram” when learning a foreign language. Daily effort is essential.

Regarding memorization, each student will be expected to memorize vocabulary and conjugation endings. There will be a daily grade based on how well the student knows vocabulary. Vocabulary will be available on Quizlet. Look for Julie_Hughes84. or use this link: https://quizlet.com/join/MP2UtUMM2

Also regarding Quizlet, each student will be required to complete three different exercises on Quizlet each week. Each exercise much be done on a different day. For example, Matching on Tuesday, Flashcards on Wednesday and Write on Thursday but NOT Matching, Flashcards and Write all on Friday. That is not to say that a student may do more than one a day. They are encouraged to do as many as possible every day! However, they will only get credit for different exercises on different days.

There will also be a longer memorization project that they will learn week by week. 

Regarding exposure, each student will be required to listen to a news clip on YouTube five times a week. This can be passive listening, which means the student can do something like chores while having the news clip on in the background. But reading, texting, being on the internet or talking, etc. during this exercise will defeat the purpose. A parent will need to sign a statement that the student has done this. Please do not sign this if you do not know that your child has done the work.

Every week there will be vocabulary quizzes three times each week. No less than every two weeks there will be a quiz over grammar, as well as a pronunciation quiz. There will also be monthly writing assignments, and occasional tests and projects. And of course, there will be homework!

For writing assignments each student will need a copy of the University of Chicago Spanish/English DictionaryNo other dictionary will be accepted. No student will be allowed to go on the internet or use any other source for these (or other) assignments. Doing so will result in a zero grade for the assignment. Below is a link to the dictionary on Amazon where it costs about $4 (or you can purchase one from me for $10)...

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/1451669100/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Grades will be determined as follows:

Classwork (including daily vocabulary) 10%

Homework 20%

Oral Quizzes (pronunciation) 5%

Oral Tests (a large block of conversation) 20%

Written Quizzes 20%

Tests 25%

 

Here is the best contact information for me:

Email: j.hughes@leechristianschool.org

Call or text: 919-895-0061

 

I am looking forward to a great semester!

His servant to you,

 

Julie Olive Hughes

 

A copy of this will be kept on my blog. Please sign below indicating that you have read this. 

 

Parent  _________________________________________

Student’s name _________________________________________

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Things we have learned so far